Experiencing the Beauty of Costa Rica's Volcanic Region During Easter Weekend
We decided to switch up our Costa Rican beach routine and head to the Arenal for a refreshing escape during the Easter weekend. The drive from the beach to Arenal is an experience in itself, as the temperature drops and the landscape transforms into a lush, green paradise you can feel yourself unwinding into a new state of contentment. As you approach closer to Arenal the scenery becomes more and more breathtaking. The lush greenery is dotted with colorful flowers and exotic birds that can be spotted along the way.
Upon arrival at our destination, we were greeted with a warm welcome from our friends and a stunning view of the Arenal Volcano from their living room. It's hard to describe the feeling of standing in front of such a magnificent natural wonder. On our first night, we dined at a charming lakefront restaurant called Tinajas Arenal. It was a breathtaking experience as we watched the sunset over the mountains while enjoying the company of good friends and indulging in their delicious cuisine.
The next day we were able to explore the area's natural hot springs and take a dip in the warm waters after a memorable Easter breakfast and egg hunt. The hot springs in the area are not only a popular attraction for tourists, but they also hold a significant cultural and historical value for the locals. The indigenous people of the area believe that the hot springs are a source of spiritual and physical healing, and we all definitely felt refreshed and rejuvenated after spending time there soaking up the minerals!
We had an incredible time after the hot springs back at our friends house where we played chess, drew pictures, sipped on hot chocolate, and took turns riding the mini 4-wheeler and moto-bike around their stunning property. We felt so free as we rode around, down quiet dirt roads with no one else in sight. The wind in our hair and the power of the engine between our legs brought smiles to our faces that lasted until bedtime.
Overall, our Easter weekend in the Arenal volcano region was an unforgettable experience. We also got to go jet-skiing on lake areal, tubing, hiking and had times when we laughed so hard our faces hurt. It was a refreshing escape from our beach routine, and we are leaving feeling very grateful for memories we made and the time together we had with our friends.
If you're interested in visiting Arenal then here are our recommended activities for your next trip:
- Arenal Volcano National Park: This park boasts some of the most breathtaking views in all of Costa Rica. Take a hike up to the volcano and marvel at the stunning views of the surrounding rainforest and lake. You can also take a guided tour to learn more about the history and geology of the area.
- Hot springs: Arenal is home to several natural hot springs, which are perfect for relaxing and unwinding after a long day of exploring. Some of the most popular hot springs in the area include Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa, and Baldi Hot Springs.
- La Fortuna Waterfall: This waterfall is one of the most popular attractions in Arenal. Take a hike through the lush rainforest to reach the waterfall and cool off in the refreshing waters below.
- Guided tours: There are several guided tours available in Arenal that will take you through the local flora and fauna. Whether you're interested in bird watching, wildlife spotting, or learning about the history and culture of the area, there is a tour that will suit your interests.
- Adventure activities: For the thrill-seekers, Arenal is the perfect destination. Zip-line through the canopy of the rainforest, raft down the rapids of the nearby rivers, or kayak across the stunning Lake Arenal. Whatever adventure you're seeking, you're sure to find it here!